Zucchini Muffins with Cinnamon Maple Glaze (V)
I never thought the day would come when I could say that I have tasted a muffin that I would rather eat instead of a cupcake. If given the choice between a chocolate cupcake (my favorite!), or this muffin. I would choose this muffin over and over, and over again. It’s that good.
I may be guilty of slathering on a thick layer of glaze… and I would do it again. No shame.
These muffins are moist from the mix of banana and zucchini, naturally sweet from the banana, but miraculously, they don’t taste like banana one bit. All of the benefits, none of the negative! The cinnamon, nutmeg and maple flavors over-ride the banana for a muffin that is healthy enough for breakfast, but decadent enough for dessert.
Mmm, so good. Trust me, now go make them!
For the Muffins
1 ½ cups of shredded zucchini
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup coconut sugar
1/3 cup earth balance (or butter)
1 cup cashew mil with ½ Tbsp. lemon juice
- "Grease" a muffin pan with coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Mix the lemon juice and cashew milk in a small bowl and let sit
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mash the banana, then stir in the earth balance and coconut sugar. Add in the vanilla extract and the zucchini.
- Alternate pouring in the dry ingredients and the butter milk until everything is combined.
- Bake for 22 minutes, and let cool before drizzling on the glaze
Add ins: (optional) Suggestions: walnuts, chocolate chips, raisins
For the Maple Cinnamon Glaze
¾ cup powdered sugar
2 Tbsp. earth balance
½ Tbsp. maple syrup
1 tsp cinnamon
splash of cashew milk
Mix together the earth balance, cinnamon, and maple syrup. Slowly add ½ cup powdered sugar and a splash of cashew milk (adding the milk helps to mellow out the flavor so that it is less sweet. Then add more powdered sugar until desired texture is reached.